This quilt was made for my friend Katie's baby girl to be. Katie is the treasurer of the LA Modern Quilt Guild and her baby is due about 3 weeks before mine. We're both planning to bring our new babies to the guild's weekend retreat in Lake Arrowhead this February. I'll let you know how that goes!
The pattern I started out with was the Sixth Times a Charm Crib Quilt from Anna Maria Horner's "Handmade Beginnings". I initially planned to follow the pattern for a rectangular baby quilt but that didn't work out so well. I'll get into that later.
The back used pieces leftover from the top (there were a lot of these).
And the label was made using the window "lightbox" method I've used before with a Micron pen.
Now, time for some real talk. I dig this design. It's a great all over pattern and comes together relatively fast and easily. BUT, and this is a big but, I've got some major issues with the written pattern itself.
First, she doesn't tell you how much fabric you need for the quilt top. I'd call that unacceptable. I understand that the nature of this design makes it really hard to give an exact measurement (the number of fabrics, width of strips you're cutting etc. are all left up to you) but you really need a ballpark figure. Not cool.
Second, by following these instructions you waste a TON of fabric. This may be no big deal for Anna Maria but it's a huge deal for me. I hate to waste anything and I love quilt patterns that use clever tricks to better use your yardage. I used some of the scraps for the back of the quilt but there were still a ton left over.
The third and biggest problem I had with this pattern was some of the measurements were just wrong. I got really mad at myself halfway through the process for not realizing the mistakes before I started. I sort of skimmed the pattern but didn't really let the numbers sink in. We're talking pretty basic geometry here people. Did you know I have a degree in math? It's true. I should have known better.
Now, to be fair the instructions only tell you to cut 2 triangles from each 60" x 30" rectangle. But that leads me to think they knew they were off with they're calculations, they just didn't bother to figure out what that number should be instead of 15".
You're asked to make two 60" x 30" rectangles to get four 30" tall triangles, then one 60" x 27" rectangle to get two 27" tall triangles. You sew these together and do some trimming (a lot more wasted fabric) to get the rectangular crib sized quilt in the book. Well, because of the miscalculations and confusion I would have had to cut more strips, sew another rectangle and waste more fabric to get the 6 triangles I needed. Instead, I just cut six 27" tall triangles and left the thing a hexagon, more of a play mat than a crib quilt.
If I were to do this again, or if you were to attempt this quilt, this is the technique I would use. Instead of sewing together 60" strips to make a rectangle, I would cut strips that were at least 36" long (a little longer would just give you a safety net), trim the end of each strip at a 60 degree angle and then sew them together into a 30" tall parallelogram like so.